Monday, October 11, 2010

Look Closer

"Marshland Treasures"
I used to just point my camera and snap. Point and snap. Point and snap.  But I was twelve then, and in a hurry.

Now when I venture out with my Canon, I take my time, searching high and low, side to side, pausing every few steps to really look at my surroundings. I'm not as interested in landscape photography as I used to be, although I have taken plenty of images that I'm proud of. 

What I love most is zeroing in on something unusual that is usually overlooked by people who are in search of the traditional idea of beauty, like the decomposing leaf floating in a marsh (above), or this half sanddollar I came across on a beach recently:


"SandDollar Recession"





















"Persistence"








This next image was taken at a wildlife preserve wetland area. I thought it looked almost like  liquid silver, from the reflection of sky and trees in water.

I've been known to gather a "bouquet" of droopy, dried flowers and leaves, plop them in a vase or bottle, and photograph them. I think the old, wilted debris has character, don't you?


"Dried Flowers in Cobalt Bottle"
Looking closer has turned photography into a treasure hunt.  For me, it's not about capturing a pristine flower that blossomed twenty minutes ago, but digging for details and respecting the beauty of less-than-perfect members of nature. 



It makes my outings a lot more fun and less predictable.














2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful blog, Bonnie. Thanks for popping over at mine, too, although I've been so consumed with freelance work, I've not updated in a month or so. Everything you do is beautiful, though - whether creating jewelry, writing, or snapping photos. You inspire me! Thanks for being in my life, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed this Bonnie. The broken sand dollar spoke volumes to me. I know that this blog will be used to bless and inspire many. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by!