Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Showcase: L e s s I s M o r e

Spring Dreams by bbrunophotography


By definition, a minimalist is one who seeks to strip something down to the very basics. Minimalism in art is a specific movement that began in the 1950s, and focused on simple color and form. I don't consider myself a minimalist, but I am fascinated by it, the way I'm fascinated by beautiful images of white kitchens and bare, spacious countertops. I do love how a minimalist image feels clean and fresh, without a lot of clutter.  

I suppose you could say that in my heart I'm a minimalist, but in practice I am not. Except for the occasional photo like this hazy pastel macro, I usually fill my frames with bright colors and textures, and go for results that are bright and warm.

But lately, I've found myself drawn back to the basics. (Maybe that's why I'm trying to reclaim closet space and simplify my life in other ways as well.) I'm attracted to images I describe as serene and quiet--paintings and photos that speak to a part of me that wants to step away from the noise of this world and just breathe deeply. 

Have you noticed? Life is filled with technology that keeps us attached, connected, and much too busy. Minimalistic art conveys the opposite. I really do like that.

Today's Friday Showcase discoveries made a dent on my thoughts about minimalism. I'd like to explore it a bit further myself and see what I can come up with. I think It would be fun to watch these artists at work, don't you? I've linked the titles of each image to make it easy to visit their shops.

Happy Friday, everyone!
Bonnie
Ipperwash I by Jennifer Squires


















Flight by GrainandSilk
















Plume, by GrainnePhotography
Black Cat, by elideitch
Untitled 848 by FrancesPhotography

Bearly There by hisss             
















7 comments:

  1. Ipperwash is my favorite for its being a mere hint along the horizon at pastel peacefulness. I also really like Plume because it's just a personal thing with me about images of feathers making me happy.

    As for minimalism, I have mixed feelings about it. Is it stark, bleak, ugly and modernist in a way meant to shock? Or is it richly calm and filled with promise, hope, beauty? The intent of the artist can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! The intent of the artist can steer the "boat," yet a viewer can appreciate it for exactly opposite reasons. I like these six images for their simplicity because...well, life isn't always so simple. It's refreshing.

    And I also like feathers! :) I can't pass one by without either photographing it or saving it.

    Thanks for taking time to comment. I appreciate that. Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true about minimalist , it can feel stark and empty and it can feel sweet and peaceful and easy ..I guess it does depend on the photographers style and also the viewers perspective..
    It's and interesting subject .
    Wonderful post by the way and thank you so much for including my feather :)
    Lupen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lupen, you are welcome! Your feather is a beautiful image, and a good example of why I'm drawn to this type of art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this time I had too many favorites, so I went with the one that has a tender spot in my heart. I like Flight.

    So enjoy this, Bonnie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in "untitled848"! So warm and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's certainly interesting to hear other people's perspectives on minimalism. I find that there are generally two reactions to my photographs: either people think they are lonely and sad, or they find them peaceful and introspective.

    I truly think that reactions to any art is a reflection of the viewer.

    Thanks for including my photograph!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you stopped by!